The holidays are just around the corner and people are getting ready with their Christmas lists. Online therapy is what you needed; online retail therapy that is. Retail online stores are putting up gift ideas, top picks and suggestions to give your loved ones and friends this holiday season. Usually, these lists are filled with wearable technology, drones, laptops, mobile phones and technology accessories. Some might even consider giving fitbits and smartwatches. Before spending tons of money on a purchase that may be useless in the long run, let us consider what are the advantages and disadvantages of having one.
For those who are not updated with the latest technology, here’s a brief definition of what they are.
What are Fitbit and Smartwatch?
Smartwatch is a basically a hybrid of a watch and smartphone. It can tell time but at the same time, have touch screens, support application and also record heart rate and other vital signs. Fitbit is an activity monitoring device, wireless-enabled wearable technology. It has the capacity to measure data like heart rate, quality of sleep, steps climbed and another basis for personal fitness.
Advantages of a Smartwatch
- It provides easier access to installed apps on your smartphone such as keyboards, messengers, and small games. The new design with Complications dials makes it easier to check notifications, messages, appointments, contacts, GPS and more.
- It allows users to the almost hands-free system. One can give out voice commands to your watch.
- Smartwatches are multipurpose and can be used as wellness device. They can act as pedometers, heart rate sensor, stopwatch and can display step count
Disadvantages of Smartwatch
- Smartwatches are not designed for everybody. User feedbacks reviews state they aren’t user-friendly as they are supposed to be. It can’t be independent of your smartphone since the voice recognition technology isn’t perfect and more development is still needed in this aspect.
- Step counters are inaccurate and a heart rate sensor doesn’t work on certain activities such as yoga and wall climbing.
- Using a keyboard on a small screen is just painstakingly hard; thus, this is not best for those who have a visual impairment and elderly individuals might frown upon this idea.
- Countless users also complained about battery life.
- Expensive: Price range from $200-280
Advantages of Fitbit
- It can measure track your steps, how many miles you walk or run. It can measure how well you sleep at night and even your blood pressur; possibly avoiding the sometimes expensive cost of therapy.
- It has different varieties ideal for different needs: waterproof varieties, clip-on design, etc. and price ranges from $59.99 to 199.99
- It keeps you motivated to achieve the goals that you have set.
- It has vibration as a silent alarm
- It can be a form of competitive bonding experience among family members and friends since it has a ranking system based on the number of steps done per day.
- Third party brands offer stylish and update bands for your Fitbit
Disadvantages of Fitbit
- The competitiveness might not be too healthy in the long run
- Incorrect documentation of data. Many reports inaccuracy in steps taken, heart rate and calories burned.